[thechat] I got an interview!

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Sep 28 13:48:00 CDT 2002

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 04:00  am, John Handelaar wrote:

> % BTW, is Manchester considered to be in the North or is it really in
> the
> % Midlands?
>
> In English terms, north.  In UK terms, significantly
> more southern than the halfway mark at Carlisle.

In general English terms, 'North' starts somewhere between Leicester
('Midlands') and Derby ('North').

FWIW, Manchester is near as dammit level with Leeds (*Definitely* North).

> Scots who say 'the north' are
> talking about Ullapool, Dingwall, Wick, and a
> myriad other places you've not heard of.

Yup. When in 89 or so I heard a (London) news report saying that a
component for an alleged Iraqi super gun was found on a fishing boat in
the North East, I automatically assumed Aberdeen. Turned out to be
Middlesborough.

I also remember a song called "Let's all go to Wick", heard on Radio
Scotland, and then subsequently at a Sawdoctors' gig (from the support
act). But then again, I also remember a song which hit the charts called
"Driving along the M62 (Jim's Tune)" which even Google can't find.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,